RDS Library & Archives

Normal view MARC view ISBD view

The Ha'penny Bridge, Dublin / Michael English.

By: English, Michael.
Publisher: Dublin : Dublin City Council, 2016Description: 272 pages : illustrations (mostly color) ; 24 cm.ISBN: 9781907002229 (hardback); 9781907002298 (Paperback).Subject(s): Bridges -- Ireland -- Dublin | Liffey, River (Ireland) -- HistoryDDC classification: 725.98 Summary: Dublin's Ha'penny Bridge is one of the symbols of the city. Opened on 19 May 1816, the first dedicated footbridge over the river Liffey, it was also the first iron bridge in Ireland. The bridge was officially named after the first duke of Wellington, the Dublin-born victor of the Battle of Waterloo. It quickly acquired the nickname by which it is still known because it replaced a Liffey ferry which charged passengers a half-penny and this amount was now charged to pedestrians as a toll to cross the bridge. The Ha'penny Bridge has had its share of controversy. In 1913 proposals were made to replace it with an art gallery designed by the famous architect Sir Edward Lutyens at the request of Sir Hugh Lane. The gallery would span the river similar to the Vasari Corridor in Florence. In the event, Dublin Corporation did not have enough funds for the project, so it was turned down. The Ha'penny Bridge was triumphantly restored in 2001 -- Library of Congress.
List(s) this item appears in: New acquisitions 2017
Tags from this library: No tags from this library for this title. Log in to add tags.
    average rating: 0.0 (0 votes)
Item type Current location Collection Call number Status Date due Barcode
Loanable Book Library
Irish Collection 725.98 ENG (Browse shelf) Available 000413516

Includes bibliographical references and index.

Dublin's Ha'penny Bridge is one of the symbols of the city. Opened on 19 May 1816, the first dedicated footbridge over the river Liffey, it was also the first iron bridge in Ireland. The bridge was officially named after the first duke of Wellington, the Dublin-born victor of the Battle of Waterloo. It quickly acquired the nickname by which it is still known because it replaced a Liffey ferry which charged passengers a half-penny and this amount was now charged to pedestrians as a toll to cross the bridge. The Ha'penny Bridge has had its share of controversy. In 1913 proposals were made to replace it with an art gallery designed by the famous architect Sir Edward Lutyens at the request of Sir Hugh Lane. The gallery would span the river similar to the Vasari Corridor in Florence. In the event, Dublin Corporation did not have enough funds for the project, so it was turned down. The Ha'penny Bridge was triumphantly restored in 2001 -- Library of Congress.

There are no comments for this item.

Log in to your account to post a comment.

Powered by Koha